Nebuchadnezzar Praises God
1 King Nebuchadnezzar to all peoples, nations, and languages, that dwell in all the earth: Peace be multiplied to you! 2 It has seemed good to me to show the signs and wonders that the Most High God has done for me. 3 How great are his signs,how mighty his wonders! His kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and his dominion endures from generation to generation.
- Point One : Complacency kills friends king David found this out as well [Cf. 2 Samuel 11.1-4] and king Nebuchadnezzar is going to find our first hand as well. Our key here is that we must be on constant guard of our walk with the LORD. (V1-3)
Nebuchadnezzar’s Second Dream
4 I, Nebuchadnezzar, was at ease in my house and prospering in my palace. 5 I saw a dream that made me afraid. As I lay in bed the fancies and the visions of my head alarmed me. 6 So I made a decree that all the wise men of Babylon should be brought before me, that they might make known to me the interpretation of the dream. 7 Then the magicians, the enchanters, the Chaldeans, and the astrologers came in, and I told them the dream, but they could not make known to me its interpretation. 8 At last Daniel came in before me—he who was named Belteshazzar after the name of my god, and in whom is the spirit of the holy gods—and I told him the dream, saying, 9 “O Belteshazzar, chief of the magicians, because I know that the spirit of the holy gods is in you and that no mystery is too difficult for you, tell me the visions of my dream that I saw and their interpretation. 10 The visions of my head as I lay in bed were these: I saw, and behold, a tree in the midst of the earth, and its height was great. 11 The tree grew and became strong, and its top reached to heaven, and it was visible to the end of the whole earth. 12 Its leaves were beautiful and its fruit abundant, and in it was food for all. The beasts of the field found shade under it, and the birds of the heavens lived in its branches, and all flesh was fed from it.
- Point Two: We cannot expect non believers to speak biblical truth. We need the Word of God if truth is what we seek. [V4-7]
- Point Three: friends do we view our position/vocation as a calling from God? Are you furthering His kingdom or yours? [V8-9]
- Point Four: God's will accomplish what He wills because He knows the end from the beginning! [V10-12]
13 “I saw in the visions of my head as I lay in bed, and behold, a watcher, a holy one, came down from heaven. 14 He proclaimed aloud and said thus: ‘Chop down the tree and lop off its branches, strip off its leaves and scatter its fruit. Let the beasts flee from under it and the birds from its branches. 15 But leave the stump of its roots in the earth, bound with a band of iron and bronze, amid the tender grass of the field. Let him be wet with the dew of heaven. Let his portion be with the beasts in the grass of the earth. 16 Let his mind be changed from a man’s, and let a beast’s mind be given to him; and let seven periods of time pass over him. 17 The sentence is by the decree of the watchers, the decision by the word of the holy ones, to the end that the living may know that the Most High rules the kingdom of men and gives it to whom he will and sets over it the lowliest of men.’ 18 This dream I, King Nebuchadnezzar, saw. And you, O Belteshazzar, tell me the interpretation, because all the wise men of my kingdom are not able to make known to me the interpretation, but you are able, for the spirit of the holy gods is in you.”
- Point Five: regardless of your current situation, the trial, the tribulation God has a plan for you. Look to Him when the trial comes and be humble. [V13-17]
- Point Six: are you brave enough for a friend like this in your life? Are you brave enough to be a friend like this? [V18]
Christian as we go through this life we will have times and seasons where God can and will use our circumstances to humble us for His purposes. It is up to us how long the trials take because of our pride. Nebuchadnezzar was prideful and God was using this trial to remind him that only He is in control.