With or Without Him
12 Moses said to the LORD, “See, you say to me, ‘Bring up this people,’ but you have not let me know whom you will send with me. Yet you have said, ‘I know you by name, and you have also found favor in my sight.’ 13 Now therefore, if I have found favor in your sight, please show me now your ways, that I may know you in order to find favor in your sight. Consider too that this nation is your people.” 14 And he said, “My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.” 15 And he said to him, “If your presence will not go with me, do not bring us up from here. 16 For how shall it be known that I have found favor in your sight, I and your people? Is it not in your going with us, so that we are distinct, I and your people, from every other people on the face of the earth?”
- V12 Moses had a great task before him and the first thing he did was go to the Lord for advice. Where do you go first to your spouse, a friend, your pastor; all good places to turn to, but how about the Lord.
- Moses is very direct in his request he
- He had such a relationship that he spoke freely with the Lord.
- James writes you have not because you ask not Cf. James 4:2-3
- Moses reminds God of the relationship they share
- V13 Moses is asking so much for himself as he is asking on behalf of the task ahead of him
- V14 God’s response is a direct result of Moses faith in the relationship they shared, “My presence will go with you” and as God often does He blesses as well, “and I will give you rest”.
- We then do we worry so much if you can trust in Him for our salvation then why can’t we learn to trust Him with everything else?
- V15-16 Oh the joy of truly knowing God in such intimacy that we can plead our case before Him without fear of ridicule or rebuke.
- Saints do you have this kind of boldness with the Lord - such that you can argue your cause expecting Him to answer in kindness and love.
- Remember what James said we don’t see prayers answered because our heart is wrong, but not Moses not here, why because he wasn’t asking for some vain self promotion no he was asking on behalf of the people under his care.
- When you pray are you seeking to draw closer to God or are you seeking your own interest?
- V15-16 are your prayers like this do you desire such intimacy with God that you won’t move unless He says go and I’ll be with you
- In the same way that Israel is chosen by God believers in Jesus are called out to be separate from the world around us and we should strive to live as such.
Christian make the decision to move at LORD command or not to go at all. Let are hearts cry be like that of Moses - amen.