Daniel 3 "Never Back Down"
Daniel 3.8-30 The Fiery Furnace
In this portion of scripture we read of the bold faith of Daniel's three friends Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. Throughout this chapter we read of Nebuchadnezzar's desire to enforce a universal form of idolatry. From which arises the three Hebrew men to to make a decision to bow down the idol or remain faithful to Yahweh.
King Nebuchadnezzar gives a decree to worship the image of gold set up on the plain of Dura. His court officials use it as a trap in an attempt to discredit the loyalty to the Hebrew men to the king. However nothing could be further from the truth these three men were more dedicated to their king - the King of the universe!
We read in this chapter the follies of Nebuchadnezzar’s temper and his impulsive behavior. His temper is a reminder to us that call upon the name of Christ that we must be led by the Spirit and not our emotions. Nebuchadnezzar's carelessness cost him the lives of the very people who were loyal to him. The men under his care lose their lives because of his lack of concern and his temper.
The Hebrew men are a testament of faithfulness in the face of opposition in a world hostile to God. We can see that they were firm in their belief in Yahweh and that it was of concern to what a world leader said or could do to them. By living their faith out before the people in Nebuchadnezzar’s court it gave testimony to the Lord and people’s lives were implicated by it.
God is faithful friends even when we falter He remains faithful (Cf 2 Timothy 2.11-13). Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego remained true the one true God let their faithfulness give you the strength to do the same.
- Be careful of flattery - people like that always have ultermotives. V9
- Be careful of your temper. Nebuchadnezzar had anger issues we must deal with ours. V11
- When the trails come will we hold fast to our faith. V17
- Rash actions lead to costly outcomes. V22
- No matter how hot the furnace gets, Yeshua will be there to help us out. V25
- Our decision to step out in faith will cause others to see the glory of God. V26-27
- When others see God’s glory in our lives it brings them to the same place to see God at work in our lives. V28
- The Hebrew boys were promoted in Nebuchadnezzar’s kingdom and our faithfulness to Yehovah brings us to greater responsibilities in His kingdom. V30
-Faith Over Fear-